WARP Project Forums - Wireless Open-Access Research Platform

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-Feb-08 11:31:45

mroney

VLC test with WARP board issues

I have an issue when I use the WARP board an conjuction with the VLC media player; when I begin a UDP transmission as followed by the 'VLC Streaming Howto'  there isn't any activity on the transmit board.  I get it to work when I first connect a second computer up for reception of the UDP transmition, and then disconnect the ethernet cable from the second pc back to the WARP board.  At that point, I can see the ethernet activity light, as well as the Radio Board activity light on.   It works fine for a few minutes, then I lose the ethernet connection with the warp board and it stops transmitting information.  The link light is on on the WARP board all the time, so I don't think it's a cabling issue.  I am using the noMac MAC by the way.  Does anyone else have these issues?

#2 2008-Feb-08 11:52:07

murphpo
Administrator

Re: VLC test with WARP board issues

The OFDM design doesn't filter any Ethernet packets. So if you can get the WARP node to transmit anything, it will transmit everything. This means the traffic you're expecting isn't actually being generated by the source PC. This usually happens when the PC issues an ARP request, trying to find the Ethernet MAC address corresponding to the destination IP address you specified in VLC. When the PC fails to receive an ARP reply, it stops sending traffic to that address, even if the application (VLC) is still trying to.

When your link is stable, the ARP exchange will work normally. Until then, the best solution is to hard-code the ARP entry for the destination host. In Windows, open a command prompt and run:

Code:

arp -s 10.0.0.5 12:34:56:78:90:AB

replacing the IP and MAC addresses for the destination node.

#3 2009-Nov-23 09:39:00

tojle

Hello,
i want to make the hard-coding between the IP and Mac address as you have suggested. I would like to include the previously given command in the C source code in my xps project, becouse otherwise i have to do it manualy in the command prompt after every dowloading of the bitstream. Can you please tell me how can i do this? For example in the visual c++ i just use the command
system ("arp -a");
for displaying the current ARP entries, but in xps this command doesn't work.
Thanks in advance.

#4 2009-Nov-23 10:03:26

sgupta
Administrator

This code is meant to run on the host PC. The C code in the XPS project runs on the FPGA. The OFDM Reference Design does not implement an IP stack on the FPGA itself. If you want to run this everytime you need to create a shell script on the Windows machine and not in the XPS project.

Board footer